Thursday, June 16, 2011

Unexpected issues

When I decided to have Lapband surgery I was really nervous basically just about the surgery itself. I've been fortunate enough to never have anything medically wrong nor ever need any surgery.  I was surprised when everything surgery-wise was not as bad as I expected.  I never thought far enough ahead as to what exactly only drinking clear liquids for 5 days then protein shakes only could actually do to your body. 

Twice since surgery I've had two small episodes of what my Dr's office believes is Hypoglycemia.  During both episodes I got very hot & sweaty following a shower and one time I nearly passed out as well.  The nurse practicioner was not overly concerned since it was not consent but she does want me to follow up tomorrow morning with some bloodwork.  I was not diabetic pre-surgery so its strange if I'm starting to have some issues post-surgery.

Today at work was the strangest problem yet.  I was talking with a patient at my desk and all of a sudden I felt like a camera flash had gone off in my face.  I couldn't see what I was trying to focus on on the computer.  I then tried to finish writing up my results and realized that I could not see the spot on my paper where my pen was.  I could see the paper just not the exact spot I was trying to focus on.  Walked down the hall where I noticed I now had a strange blurry/wiggly line curving through the left side of my visual field.  Luckily I work in a Dr's office.  I was told to sit and drink some diluted apple juice because more then likely this was also due to low blood sugar.  After a while the strange line went away and then I just had blurry edges around my whole visual field.  This whole episode lasted about 40 minutes, pretty scary since I had no idea what was going on!!  I had my sugar tested (after the apple juice) and it was normal. My Dr's office wanted me to get an eye exam so I went downstairs to an eye Dr who squeezed me into the schedule.   Luckily he did not find anything wrong and attributes the symptoms more likely due to an ocular migraine.  I have a long history of migraines but none like this. 

 I go in tomorrow first thing to my Dr's to get bloodwork done to make sure everything is going ok and all my levels are good.  I'm guessing my body is not going to go down with out a fight!!  Hoping to get to the bottom of whatever is going on soon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment